Monday, August 15, 2011

You Want to Pray for What?

One of my favorite times of the day with Jordyn is prayer time. We usually start with a book and then say her prayers. John and I try to take turns so that each night she gets to say prayers with one of us.

As a kid I always recited the following prayer:

"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take."

Jordyn is getting closer and closer to knowing the prayer herself but until then she usually repeats the lines after me. After we finish the prayer I allow Jordyn to pray for whom ever and what ever she wants to. This is where it tends to get a little interesting and sometimes funny.

She usually prays for herself first and then her baby sister. Sometimes Mommy and Daddy are next and sometimes she lists everybody at daycare.

A couple of weeks ago she prayed for Popsicles because we were out of them and I told her I would buy some at the store the next day. I had to hold back my laughter.

My favorite prayer thus far took place on Saturday night.

Jordyn had realized during the day that her "taggy" was dirty and needed to be washed. (Her taggy is a tiny blanket with ribbons sewed around the edges. She is attached to it!) I told her to put it in the laundry room and that I would wash it later. Well.......bed time came and the taggy had yet to be washed. She of course freaked out. Luckily, her Nana had just purchased one for Jillian so I told her she could borrow it for the night and that I would wash hers first thing in the morning.

So, when it came time to say prayers she prayed for the following, "I pray that mama washes my taggy cuz it is dirty. She didn't do it today." Wow! I about died!

Needless to say, the taggy got washed first thing Sunday morning and last night she was one happy girl! I guess if all else fails Jordyn will keep me on my toes!

No comments: