Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Just Say It.

"My kids aren't perfect."

"Being a mom is so dang hard."

"I am so tired I could cry."

"I am so frustrated I could cry."

See, was that so hard?

During my night "parties" with Jillian my mind wanders and I think about different things I want to write about. One topic that continues to come to mind time and time again is the fact that so many moms out there are so afraid to admit how hard being a parent is. They are so afraid to admit defeat, to admit that at times they simply can't handle the task at hand.

I find this to be extremely upsetting.

Sunday night, while up with Jillian for a long stretch of time, I decided that come Tuesday (when I had time to sit down and write) I was going to vent about this once and for all. Monday rolls around and a sorority sister of mine (who is a new mommy!) posts the following article on her Facebook page. It was a total sign.

Parenthood Got You Down? You're Not Alone.

While I sat there and read the article I finally felt like other people were getting it!

It is so easy to admit when other things are wrong. Why not this?

People have an easy time admitting that they need to lose 5 lbs. Or admitting that their house is a complete disaster. Or you ask someone how they are doing and BAM they spill their entire life story.

But when it comes to being a parent, and a mom in particular, I find that so many moms put up this wall. They want to pretend that everything is perfect. They are constantly putting on a production of "The Perfect Life".

One thing I have found is that it is so hard to be real with these people. When you surround yourself with moms who constantly have a smile on their face and are constantly saying how "perfect little Sammy is" why would you ever want to admit that "your little Sammy" is far from perfect.

Why can't we all just scream from the top of a mountain that we are tired? Why can't we all just admit that at times our children make us want to rip our hair out? Do we fear being judge? Judged by who? Because the fact of the matter is- if we all just took a step back and looked around- WE ARE ALL GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING!

We are all tired.

We are all frustrated.

We are all upset and overwhelmed.

Not one of us is perfect. And if you truly feel that you have it easy, that God has given you the perfect new born that sleeps all night and never cries and the perfect toddler that never yells "NO" in your face- then good for you. That is awesome. But is isn't normal.

So for the rest of us, let's start supporting one another. Don't judge me because I make my daughter Mac-n-Cheese from a box from time to time. And don't judge me because I lose my cool in the grocery store. Instead, give me a hug and tell me to let it out and join me by buying a box of Mac-n-Cheese for your kids. In the end, we will all feel so much better knowing we aren't alone.

I always describe motherhood as "the hardest, most amazing job" and it is definitely that. I love my girls to the moon and back but I also recognize that it isn't easy. I hope and pray that others start doing the same.

No comments: