Thursday, July 21, 2011

Learn to Expect the Unexpected..........

I had to learn real quick with Jordyn that when it comes to being a Mom things never really go according to plan. With her arrival 5 weeks earlier than expected John and I's start to "parenthood" began a little crazy. We literally had NOTHING for our daughter. Or should I say "baby", since we also had no idea what we were having. Not knowing the sex made things a tad crazier. My first baby shower was scheduled the day she was born. So while sitting in the hospital, waiting for her to be born, we were making lists of the essentials. Family and friends stepped up to the plate. Running errands for us, putting the rocking chair together, and keeping me sane in the hospital. It literally brings tears to my eyes as I look back at all the generosity that quickly filled our lives.

And after about 32 hours later of sitting in that hospital bed our baby was born. And our baby was a girl (I would have bet a million dollars I was having a boy!) Jordyn Rae Scherpinski was born on Saturday, February 28, 2009. She was a tiny little one weighing in at 5lbs, 3oz. But for being so early she was healthy, healthy, healthy.

Jordyn Rae- just minutes after she entered the world!
John and I spent the next 11 days in the hospital while Jordyn stayed in the NICU. Still to this day, those are the hardest days of my life. Having your baby and going home at the end of each night without her is the most awful feeling. I wish it upon no one. But looking back it only made us stronger. Stronger as individuals and stronger as a couple. I would usually start my mornings there at 7:15 for her first feeding and we would end the night about 10:30 for her night feeding. John would come on his lunch breaks and sometimes even go in in the morning before work about 4am. It was a team effort. We (and I especially) would have NEVER made it through without the support of friends and family. It was only 11 days but it felt like FOREVER. The doctors and the nurses at the hospital were more than perfect and I will NEVER forget them. I can not say thank you enough.



After those 11 days, Jordyn was released and our family was finally all together under one roof. The next couple of weeks were insane. I won't go into details but basically we were in the process (long process) of buying a house and tending to a new born. And so the "chaos" began!

It was during these first few months of mommy hood that I learned to expect the unexpected. Flash forward two years later and here I am again.

When I got pregnant for the second time I knew this pregnancy would be different. I was the mother of an almost 2 year old and therefore coming home after work and resting was out of the question. I also knew that working out would be limited. With Jordyn I walked 3 miles every other day up until she was born. Because of her early arrival I knew that would not be an option this time around. I took things VERY easy with this pregnancy, in the hope that I would be able to carry the baby a little longer. A week, maybe two.

Well..................here I am. 39 weeks and 4 days and STILL pregnant. Talk about the UNEXPECTED. I am starting to think I took things a little TOO careful. In all seriousness though, I would rather be in this situation than in the first. I knew I NEVER wanted to experience the NICU again. Especially while having a little one at home. Juggling the hospital with Jordyn time would have been so, so hard. So instead, I wait. I am blessed to have had a relatively easy pregnancy this go round. Physically, I feel fantastic. Mentally, I am going a little nuts. But I have to keep reminding myself that soon enough, our daughter will be here and the chaos that has seemed to mellow out a little bit these past few months will be ramped up!

I can not wait to meet her. And more than that (so much more than that), I CAN NOT wait for Jordyn to meet her baby sister. She is more than excited and talks about her every day.

I will keep you posted these next few days as I try and remain patient. My world of  "controlled chaos" will become not so controlled in a couple of days (or perhaps hours) but as I sit here a tad bored, I can not wait.

Stay tuned....................

No comments: